photo blogban1_zps06115c64.jpg photo blogban2_zps25145b56.jpg photo blogban3_zps43f8c62d.jpg photo blogban4_zpsbe83ebd7.jpg photo blogban5_zps7c892585.jpg photo blogban6_zpsad9ba9e2.jpg

7/31/2012

DIY TUESDAY: DREAM CATCHER







3. make sure the end of the string goes above the other












Here is a little bit of information off of Wikipedia that will explain to you the sacred use of this object and why some Native american cultures may take offense to someone selling or creating these kind of objects.


While dreamcatchers originated in the Ojibwa Nation, during the Pan-Indian Movement of the 1960s and 1970s they were adopted by Native Americans of a number of different nations. Some consider the dream catcher a symbol of unity among the various Indian Nations, and a general symbol of identification with Native American or First Nations cultures. However, other Native Americans have come to see dream catchers as over-commercialized.[3] Non-Indians have also used the dreamcatcher for their own purposes.


In the course of becoming popular outside of the Ojibwa Nation, and then outside of the pan-Indian communities, "dreamcatchers" are now made, exhibited, and sold by some New age groups and individuals. According to Philip Jenkins, this is considered by most traditional Native peoples and their supporters to be an undesirable form of cultural appropriation. Even though some Native Americans appreciate their culture spreading and enjoy selling and dispersing their homemade dream catcher [5]

My personal opinion: I like the meaning of a dream catcher I create mine as a work of art and use it for my own purposes and beliefs. In no way am I trying to misrepresent or disrespect native american cultures. When you create something it is yours... good ideas will always be copied and transformed.

Let me know what you think by commenting below... and follow the blog if your interested in more fun projects!

13 comments:

  1. Your dream catchers are always so vibrant and full of awesomeness! Absolutely love this one! And awesome detailed directions! If I didnt know how to make them already this post would definitely make me want to try to create my own! <3 Fannnnnntasticness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley! I missed seeing you around these parts :D

      Delete
  2. I find dream catchers have always had such appeal to me! Cultural mixing has always existed, and it's not like people are doing so in order to disrespect the other culture. Maybe selling them could be seen as such, but I dunno. I think it's still ok, especially since they're really fun to make :$ !


    This is a really really funky dream catcher! I totally love it !

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sooo right. I just had to put the memo below cause I have experienced people who get offended by them but I am not going to change what I love because of someone else's opinion.

      Delete
  3. Your dreamcatchers just make me, happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there s a big difference in creating and selling something that is a unique and inspired piece of art as opposed to selling something mass produced in china. most of the dream catchers we see on the market fit the latter description. something made with love and imbued with one's own spirit holds much more meaning. yours are lovely and unique and i am appreciative of the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks willow! I didn't want to mention this but I actually had one lady who wrote me and said my dream catchers looked like dog shit... plus a whole lot of other really mean things. I had to laugh about it cause obviously she took the sweet time out of her day to tell me that. It hurt but I got over it and realized your not going to make everyone happy and some people are going to try their best to make you feel like crap even if you never even met or talked to them. I appreciate this comment!

      Delete
  5. Fun! I'm going to save this post and return to it and try this out. I've never actually made a dreamcatcher before so I'm so thankful that you posted this DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe I JUST found this!! I have been looking for a good DIY on dreamcatchers and this is just perfect! They are so fun and unique, but I agree, dreamcatchers are not just meant for decorating purposes but for a true Native American belief. BTW I love all your artworkd and diy's! Also, a little random, but where did you find that colorful string? I have been looking for that kind for a while but cannot find it any local craft stores. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm working on a dream catcher worked in a hoola hoop. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really cool! I love dream catchers! Ill be sure to try and make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I love your dreamcatcher! I co-own a new online magazine, Stellr Magazine, and we are looking for cute crafts for our first issue coming soon and I would love to get permission to use your pictures and directions in it, credits will be given in the magazine. Please contact me as soon as possible at stellr_magazine@yahoo,com Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I love reading comments... drop me a line and a link!