photo blogban1_zps06115c64.jpg photo blogban2_zps25145b56.jpg photo blogban3_zps43f8c62d.jpg photo blogban4_zpsbe83ebd7.jpg photo blogban5_zps7c892585.jpg photo blogban6_zpsad9ba9e2.jpg

1/15/2013

Etsy Success: Tips for finding Your Creative Genius



I often get asked how I came up with an idea and a lot of times the answer comes along the lines of well I just did. I have a very strong right side of the brain and not because I was born with it but because I use it everyday all day.

 I truly believe that you are most creative when your a child. As we grow older society kicks in and your pressured into a box complete instructions included. Everything has a certain answer in school and real life seems to be about the same routine as everyone else. 

Nothing wrong with routine or learning but what I am saying is that we use our creativeness less and less. I honestly think it's because being creative is play to adults and play is not real life but why can't it be? Why can't we be as happy and as thrilled as when we were little with just a box to dismember and an imagination to transform it?

In order for your etsy business to be successful you need to find your creative genius. Not only will this help set you apart for everyone else but it helps you keep your shop fresh with new ideas and products.
So today I want to share with you some tips on finding your creative genius... remember it's not that you never had it but that you lost it somewhere along the lines of becoming an adult.


  1. Use what you have. We all see projects we want to do or make but we also see a huge list of things we need. Instead of heading into the craft store and spending 50 dollars on your next diy project look around and make yourself use what you have. It's hard at first but it helps you begin to see multiple purposes for an item rather than one. 
  2. Create something Everyday. This one is simple but most important because it's practice. Even if you don't like what you see the first couple of days keep at it! Practice makes creative perfection!
  3. Shop around. Take your craft supply list to new unconventional supply stores. I learned this from a favorite art ed professor in college. The hardware store, junk store, even the side of the road provide interesting supplies to boost your creative spirit.
  4. Design your own project. See something you need around the house? Maybe a spice rack or a rug? Well Try to make it without the help of pinterest, the internet or others.
  5. Turn it off and find your space. Devote time to staying off the internet, tv or any other influence that distracts you (except music) and find a permanent spot to set up a creative space. Just setting up your area can inspire you and make you feel confident in pursuing your creative endeavors
  6. Find supplies and things that inspire you. Instead of shopping a diy supply list off of the internet, shop for supplies that inspire even if you don't have a use for them yet. Or better yet look around your place or a friends/relatives for unused objects. I always go through my moms junk draws at her house.
  7. Don't let a stupid idea pass you by! Try it! 9 times out of 10 I would think of an idea that I thought was stupid but I tried it anyway and it was a hit! So never shut yourself off before giving it a good try. 
  8. Keep Learning. That is a simple as you can get. Do I need to explain?

Those are my tips... Let me know if you have any other great ones to share! I would love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. One of my absolute most favorite quotes: “Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up” – Pablo Picasso

    I see my daughter's imagination and it reminds me of how imaginative I was at her age. Our society and culture are producing a bunch of puppets. They talk about individualism, but it's subtly discouraged. It's those who find their way out of the box who become great and find happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point! Thanks for adding casey!! :)

      Delete
    2. So true. Everyone would probably be more creative if they used that right side more!

      Delete

So what do you think? I love reading comments... drop me a line and a link!